Sunday, January 18, 2009

Do you know my name?

I remembered, the last Eid Ul Fitr, I went to my officemate's Hari Raya open house. It was in the afternoon. Since my friend who invited me to her house was Chinese Muslim, so it was not surprised to see a lots of Chinese at her house. It was very warm welcome.


Anyway, one incident happened at that night made me feel so tiny and I need a drastic improvement or change.


I was sitting while enjoyed the nice, fresh Rojak prepared special for guests, one Chinese little girl around 5 years old played a doll next to me . At one time I got opportunity to talked to her.


I was spoken to this little kid….


I asked her few questions to know her as well as to test her knowledge…. I spoke to her like I know her very well… Suddenly at one point, after chatting about 5 minutes to her, she asked a question that turned me red….


She asked me…..


"Do you know my name?"


I really don't know how to answer her question… even though it was a simple question but ...


"err… owh yea, I forgot to ask your name, what is your name?"


"No, I don't want to tell you because you didn't asked me that question earlier"


"I am so sorry, But I know, you are going to tell me, right?"


"No!, I don't want to tell you".

"You don't know my name, right???"

I tried to convinced her to tell her name, but she reluctance until she disappear from me, leaving me with a question mark and ashamed.


" I will never told my name, because you never ask it!"


Yea… I should ask that important question maybe to kids especially at the beginning of conversation. I was in shocked and ashamed. Sometimes that simple yet important matter, is something we easily forget to do / ask.


Eventhough it was happened few months ago, but that incident still fresh and keep pop up in my mind if I remembered about my past Eid Ul Fitr.


So what I should learns from that incident?

Never talk to a kid?

Never starts a conversation before asking their name?

Or . ..


Yea, I should ask their name.


Trying to understand kids' mind and needs are so challenging, needs patience and times or you will lost i n the middle of it...

No comments:

Post a Comment